Aadhaar is the world’s largest biometric ID program. Western countries are learning from this and will implement the same kind of program in the near future. In the recent past, Aadhaar has been constantly in news for its implementations across various industries and its security/privacy. To enhance the safety and confidentiality, Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) has launched a new feature called Masked Aadhaar.
In the masked aadhaar, there is an option to cover/mask first 8 digits of your aadhaar number. This is to ensure the safety and confidentiality of Aadhaar number. This is the part of Virtual ID wherein you now have an option to generate /download the e-Aadhaar which is Masked.
Here’s all you need to know about it.
The #eAadhaar is now available in two formats:
1. Regular Aadhaar
2. Masked Aadhaar
You can download these from: https://t.co/iBrWjEwBsU
To know more about eAadhaar visit: https://t.co/H3CTmnBZtP pic.twitter.com/M90Q6w2SYq
— Aadhaar (@UIDAI) October 19, 2018
How to download Masked Aadhaar
- Log on to the UIDAI website.
- Under the ‘Aadhaar Online Services’ section, click on ‘Download Aadhaar’ link.
- On the next page, select ‘Masked Aadhaar’ as your preference.
- Enter the required details i.e. Aadhaar number, Full name, Pin code, and security code
- Click on “Request OTP” button
- Enter the OTP you have received on your registered mobile number
Features of Masked Aadhaar
- It is a digital version of your Aadhaar card with more security
- Share your e-Aadhaar number without any fear as first 8 digits are masked
- Only demographic information and QR code will be available
- Use your Aadhaar number without disclosing your Aadhaar number
- Digitally Signed and verified by UIDAI
- e-Aadhaar is as valid as your regular Aadhaar card
How is Masked Aadhaar is different from Regular Aadhaar?
- Masked Aadhaar is digitally signed by UIDAI and is the secure document
- You choose what you want to share in Masked AAdhaar, Your date of birth, mobile number, email address and photo are optional
- It enables QR codes and paperless KYC so you don’t have to submit biometrics and no any authentication via UIDAI website
- Masked Aadhaar contains QR code which is more reliable and secure than other forms of IDs
- Due to QR code, it’s risk-free from forgery and photoshop of e-Aadhaar
It is a very good step taken by the Government of India to protect the privacy of the people. Aadhaar is widely used and accepted in India not only as ID proof but also for authentication at various industries. There are various incidents where there is a data breach. So with this masked aadhaar, there are no chances of Aadhaar data breach.