In the digital era, mobile payment platforms have revolutionized the way we handle transactions. UPI (Unified Payments Interface) Lite is an innovative feature offered by popular payment apps like Gpay, Paytm, and PhonePe that allows users to send money without the need for a PIN. This article will guide you through the process of using UPI Lite to send money securely and conveniently.
What Is UPI Lite & Its Benefits?
Using UPI Lite offers several advantages. Firstly, it eliminates the hassle of remembering and entering a PIN for every transaction, making the process faster and more efficient. Additionally, it provides a seamless user experience by reducing the number of steps required to complete a transaction.
UPI Lite also enhances accessibility, as it can be used on any smartphone, regardless of the device’s specifications.
Step-by-Step Guide: Sending Money Without PIN on Gpay Using UPI Lite
- Open the Gpay app on your smartphone.
- Select the contact or enter the UPI ID of the recipient.
- Enter the amount you wish to send.
- Tap on the UPI Lite option.
- Verify the transaction details.
- Authenticate the transaction using your biometric (fingerprint or face recognition).
- Confirm the transaction.
Step-by-Step Guide: Sending Money Without PIN on Paytm Using UPI Lite
- Launch the Paytm app on your smartphone.
- Choose the contact or enter the UPI ID of the person you want to send money to.
- Enter the desired amount.
- Select the UPI Lite option.
- Review the transaction details.
- Verify the transaction using your biometric authentication.
- Proceed with the transaction.
Step-by-Step Guide: Sending Money Without PIN on PhonePe Using UPI Lite
- Open the PhonePe app on your smartphone.
- Select the recipient or enter their UPI ID.
- Enter the amount you want to send.
- Tap on the UPI Lite feature.
- Verify the transaction details.
- Authenticate the transaction using your biometric credentials.
- Finalize the transaction.
Security Measures and Precautions
While UPI Lite offers convenience, it’s crucial to prioritize security. Here are some essential security measures and precautions to consider:
- Set up a strong device lock screen password or PIN.
- Enable biometric authentication for added security.
- Regularly update your payment app to ensure you have the latest security patches.
- Avoid sharing your UPI credentials or personal information with anyone.
- Be cautious while installing third-party apps related to UPI payments.
UPI Lite Transaction Limit
The maximum UPI Lite transaction limit is Rs 200. user can initiate the payment through various app which has introduced UPI Lite which enables users to carry out transactions up to Rs. 200, with a maximum cumulative limit of Rs. 4000/day.
List of Banks/Apps That Offers UPI Lite Facility
- HDFC Bank
- Kotak Mahindra Bank
- Indian Bank
- Punjab National Bank
- State Bank of India
- Union Bank of India
- Utkarsh Small Finance Bank
- Google Pay
UPI vs UPI Lite: Understanding the Differences
UPI (Unified Payments Interface) and UPI Lite are both payment systems that have revolutionized digital transactions in India. While they share similarities, there are key differences between UPI and UPI Lite. This article will explore and compare these two payment systems to help you understand their unique features and functionalities.
UPI (Unified Payments Interface)
UPI is a real-time payment system developed by the National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI). It enables users to link multiple bank accounts to a single mobile application, facilitating seamless fund transfers between individuals and merchants. UPI is widely supported by numerous banks and payment apps, including Gpay, PhonePe, Paytm, and more.
Key Features of UPI:
- Directly links bank accounts to a mobile application.
- Allows users to create a Virtual Payment Address (VPA) for simplified transactions.
- Provides a secure and convenient way to transfer funds instantly.
- Supports person-to-person (P2P) transfers, merchant payments, bill payments, and more.
- Requires authentication with a UPI PIN for each transaction.
UPI Lite, as the name suggests, is a lighter version of the UPI system. It is designed to streamline the payment process by eliminating the need for entering a UPI PIN for every transaction. UPI Lite is an optional feature offered by some UPI-enabled payment apps, aiming to enhance convenience and speed up transactions.
Key Features of UPI Lite:
- Allows users to make transactions without entering a UPI PIN.
- Relies on biometric authentication, such as fingerprint or face recognition, for transaction authorization.
- Offers a faster and more seamless user experience.
- Reduces the number of steps required to complete a transaction.
- Ensures secure transactions by leveraging biometric data.
Differences between UPI and UPI Lite:
- Authentication Process: UPI transactions require users to enter a UPI PIN, providing an additional layer of security. On the other hand, UPI Lite replaces the UPI PIN with biometric authentication, allowing users to authorize transactions with their fingerprints or facial recognition.
- Transaction Speed: UPI transactions with a UPI PIN require a few extra steps, which may slightly slow down the process. UPI Lite eliminates these additional steps, resulting in faster transactions.
- User Experience: UPI Lite aims to provide a more seamless and user-friendly experience by reducing the number of inputs required from the user. This convenience comes at the cost of an additional security layer provided by the UPI PIN.
- Availability: UPI Lite is an optional feature offered by specific UPI-enabled payment apps. Not all payment apps that support UPI may have UPI Lite available. Users should check their preferred payment app to determine if UPI Lite is supported.
|Unified Payments Interface
|Lighter version of UPI without UPI PIN
|Requires UPI PIN for each transaction
|Relies on biometric authentication (fingerprint/face recognition)
|May have additional steps for UPI PIN entry
|Faster due to fewer steps required
|Comprehensive functionality with added security
|Enhanced convenience, sacrificing UPI PIN for speed
|Widely available on UPI-enabled payment apps
|Optional feature, availability may vary among payment apps
|Person-to-person transfers, merchant payments, bill payments, etc.
|Person-to-person transfers without UPI PIN entry
|UPI PIN provides an additional layer of security
|Relies on biometric data for transaction authorization
UPI and UPI Lite are both innovative payment systems that have transformed digital transactions in India. UPI offers comprehensive functionality with the added security of a UPI PIN for every transaction.
UPI Lite, on the other hand, sacrifices the UPI PIN for the sake of convenience, allowing users to make transactions quickly using biometric authentication. The choice between UPI and UPI Lite depends on individual preferences for security versus speed and convenience.
How to Track The UPI Lite Transaction History?
Open the UPI-enabled payment app on your smartphone.
Look for the “Transaction History” or “Transaction” option within the app. The exact location and naming may vary depending on the app you are using.
Tap on the “Transaction History” or similar option to access your transaction records.
Depending on the app’s interface, you may be able to filter the transactions by date, type (sent/received), or other relevant criteria.
Review the transaction history to track your UPI Lite transactions. The details provided typically include transaction date and time, transaction amount, sender/receiver information, and transaction status (success/failed/pending).
If you need more specific information about a particular transaction, you can usually tap on the transaction record to view additional details, such as the transaction ID or UPI reference number.
Some payment apps also offer the option to export or download your transaction history for reference or record-keeping purposes. Look for any available options within the app’s settings or transaction history interface.
In conclusion, UPI Lite is a remarkable feature that simplifies the process of sending money without the need for a PIN. Its benefits include enhanced convenience, faster transactions, and improved accessibility.
By following the step-by-step guides provided for Gpay, Paytm, and PhonePe, users can take full advantage of this innovative feature. Remember to prioritize security and follow the recommended precautions to ensure a safe and secure transaction experience.
For more details please check this link.
Yes, UPI Lite is compatible with all smartphones.
Yes, you can disable UPI Lite in the settings of your payment app.
Transaction limits for UPI Lite are subject to the policies of the respective payment apps. It has a limit of Rs. 200/transaction.
UPI Lite is primarily designed for person-to-person transactions, but some payment apps may offer merchant transaction support.
If a UPI Lite transaction fails, ensure that you have a stable internet connection and sufficient funds in your account. If the issue persists, contact customer support for assistance.